June 14, 2011

Tour Blog #1


Tour day 1: I can never sleep the night before a long tour. I played my first show with Zoo Animal the night before and it felt great to get some of the nerves out. I think the set went well too. In the past I’ve never really had a hard time saying goodbye to friends, significant others, and family. I am not sure why but this time was gut wrenching. I know I am only gone 17-18 days but I haven’t felt this lost in a long time. I really miss my friends, my girlfriend, and my family more than ever.
I think all of those emotions made me forgetful. I forgot my drum throne back home or at Cause and I forgot my Deodorant! Sorry world! We started the tour off by playing in Omaha. I can’t lie…I was not looking forward to playing any Midwest shows at all and especially Omaha. I’ve never have had good luck in Omaha but this time around was great. We played a great place called The Side Door lounge.
The owner, Steve, also owns an extremely great restaurant a mile away called The Flatiron CafĂ©. Truly a special place and it was extra generous of him to wine and dine us to meals I could never afford. Truly exceptional stuff! The show was pretty mellow as the local band canceled due to illness and the fact the bar is usually closed on Monday’s. Either way; it was super nice of the owner to be open that night and host us.
He then proceeded to put us up in a “flophouse” which really was a house he was working on with two amazing bedrooms and bathrooms. Got up around 10am (which is rare for me to be up so late) and hit up a local dinner. Got two eggs, bagel (free sub for toast), bacon, and hashbrowns for $5.95.
I suppose I could get down with the speed of Omaha! We left town around 11am and headed towards Kansas City. I drove most of the way and listened to my “gym” playlist on the iPod. DJ Steve Porter remixes of press conferences from athletes make for wonderful driving pump up anthems. Tonight we play The Riot Room in Kansas City, MO. I haven’t played here since my friend Will Meek hooked up my old band back in 2004. I’ll give a rundown later. Cheers.
p.s. shout out to my brother Jordan who is graduating H.S. today. Sad I am missing it!

No comments: