June 30, 2011

Tour Blog #14, 15, 16 (2nd to last entry)





Woke up in Sheridan, WY which is maybe the most bizarre little town ever. I don't know why or how to explain it but the vibe was just interesting to me. When we walked into a diner to get breakfast the entire place did the classic "record stops suddenly" movie cliche thing. They all stared at us as they knew we weren't one of them.

We drove 7 hours to get to Denver which is a city I've always been interested in. I explained this to the locals who I chatted with after the show as well but... growing up there wasn't much MN sports to cheer for outside of the 91 twins. The Nuggets and Broncos were the joint. John Elway for the Broncos and Dikembe Mutombo was sort of early heros of mine. Not to mention all I could think of was the 2009 season opener the Broncos played against the Bengals. Orton threw a hail mary bomb from 87 yards out and was tipped in the air before Brandon Stokley came down with it for the game winning TD. Gus Johnson, who announced for CBS at the time, absolutely lost his mind. A great call in sports history.

Oh yeah...Denver. My friends Steve and Lee just moved down there and after a quick bite of food we met them outside the venue. This was the first time on the entire tour I got to actually drink, laugh, and catch up with friends. The show was also great as Zoo Animal had done a trade with the headlining band. Kick ass Monday evening in Denver for sure. I didn't sleep much due to the fact I knew how close we were getting to the Minnesota.

We made our way to Lincoln, NE the following morning. This is a town I've always liked but there's just not much I can say about this show. While we had a good audience and the bar was solid...the other bands just were not my thing. Nice enough guys as I chatted with the 50 year old bass player in the first band about Dead Kennedy's for a while. I just don't understand how bands don't realize you're a traveling band and when there is only a small amount of $$$ at the door you insist on splitting it three ways. Dudes!? I think at this point Holly, Tim, and myself hit a wall and were just tired of the road. Holly was baller and drove us to Des Moines so we'd cut our Chicago drive time down. I also didn't sleep very well there as we rolled in around 4:30am and left a little after 10:00am. I think I maybe got an hour of sleep this night.

Chicago...maybe one of my favorite cities and always get stoked to play there. This time we played The Beat Kitchen which is a kickass little club in the Roscoe neighborhood. The hospitality, the food, the beer (oh god...lot's of it), and the green room were kick ass. The last band "On Again Off Again" were a good band and all nice fellas as they gave us all of the door money. See Lincoln?! This does happen!

The next morning we made our way to "Hot Doug's" as Tim was wanted to go there from day 1 of this tour. The line was 30 minutes long but we toughed it out. A great place to get some insanely good dogs. Unfortunately I was feeling a bit hungover (the one and only time this entire trip!) from the night before and my stomach didn't like me very much. Thankfully nothing happened but just required huge doses of "Emergen C" and Earl Gray Tea. Holyoke, the band we played with in Chicago, gave us a bunch of free Noodle & Company punch cards and that's pretty much what we did upon arrival in Iowa City. Right now I am nursing the Earl Gray Tea and catching up on emails. Playing our last show of the tour tonight @ The Mill. It's crazy to think I will be home very soon. Like...less than 24 hours. Love and miss you all.

sorry: no time to edit again.

No comments: